Isaiah 43:1b

"...Fear not, for I have redeemed you; I have summoned you by name; you are Mine."

Monday, July 4, 2011

Addicted to Approval

Before anything else, I need to give credit where credit is due: the title of this post was not an original. It was the tile of the message I heard on Sunday. It was so perfect, however, that I saw no reason to use something else.

This post is actually about what I heard on Sunday. At my church, we're in a series called "Empty Promises." We're talking about things we have in our lives that we seek to give us what only God can give us. God has a name for these things--idols. And on Sunday, we talked about the idol of approval.

‎"What I want you to hear - if you don't hear anything else today - is that there is nothing you could do to make God love you any more or any less than He does in this very moment. Nothing."

How beautiful is that?

Nothing we can do will make God love us any more. As believers in the One and Only God, we should be ultimately seeking His approval. And surprise--we have it!

We have so many giants in our lives:

Grades we can't make.
Bosses we can't please.
Deadlines we can't meet.

But we KILL ourselves to try to do all of these things. Why? Because we seek the approval of someone who is not our Someone. We bend over backwards to try to achieve the acceptance and confirmation of the people of this world.

Nothing we do will make God love us any more because He already loves us to the fullest extent! And no matter what we do, we will not lose that.

I needed that reminder--the reminder that God loves me. Because as a human being, I will mess up. I make mistakes every day. Words can not express the comfort in knowing that God loves me in spite of all of my faults. So allow me to quote again:

There is nothing you could do to make God love you any more or any less than He does in this very moment.

Nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment